Thursday, July 06, 2006

Sleeping in?

Why is it that during the school year I must DRAG my younger children (7 & 5) out of bed at 7:00 am but during summer vacation they are up at the crack ass of dawn? Now, that doesn't bother me, what bothers me is them coming in and waking ME up at the crack ass of dawn.

It doesn't matter what time they go to bed. 7:30 is their normal bedtime. Even if I let them stay up till midnight, they are not sleeping in. What is with that? They refuse to nap (I WANT A NAP!!) and they are cranky as hell.

They really don't realize that their lives are in jeopardy if I hear that disgusting whine come from them again. (Not really for those of you that don't know me) Seriously though, I wish school would start. LOL.

I don't remember being in the house this much as a kid. A friend and I were talking about this last week. Jose and I also discussed this. He says I'm to easy on the kids, I need to toss them out and that's that. They make excuses to stay in the house. LOL. Excuses such as, "Is it lunchtime yet" or "I haven't eaten yet" that great oldie but goodie, "I'm thirsty" Since there are four of them, they coordinate to constantly have the door swinging open and closed. Never closed for long mind you.

Anyway, Sally and I were discussing this last week, about how we were locked out, handed sandwiches through the window, and had to (gasp!!!) drink from the hose. Since we were girls, we were occasionally allowed in the house to pee, but we were monitored from behind the closed door. As soon as the toilet flushed, we were ushered back to the door, with a loud clicking of the lock hitting home as our sendoff.

Maybe we are too easy on the kids. They must constantly be entertained. I know some of it is our fault. We lived in England for a long time, it was ugly and cold most of the year. Then we get here to Oklahoma and it's HOT and humid.

Maybe I should try and be more like Mom (DID THAT REALLY COME FROM ME?!?!) and throw them out. Hmm. You know, she doesn't remember ever actually throwing us out. I wonder if my memory will go when I have grandchildren.

Back to sleeping in, sorry for the digression. LOL. I want to go back to sleep. I guess as soon as I'm old enough to pee with the door closed again, I'll get to sleep in. Too bad I'll be incontinent then and no longer wish to sleep for more than 4 hours at a stretch.

Enjoy the summer. :P

2 comments:

Brenda said...

During the week, Kinsey and I get up around 7 to be at the daycare at 8 (this will be our school schedule too). On weekends she is pretty good about sleeping a little later. If she gets up before we do, she watches TV. I have single serve yogurt, applesauce, and drinks on a shelf she can get to if she gets hungry. We usually sleep in until 9 or so on the weekends.

Brenda said...

Forgot to add that when I was growing up we were outside all the time too. I have an aunt that we tease now because she used to make us go outside as soon as we got to her house. If we were thirsty it was drink from the hose. I think we were lucky to go inside to go to the bathroom. We ate on paper plates and went back out as soon as lunch was over.
Kinsey spends a lot of time outside at daycare and at home. She plays with the dogs, plays in the dirt and plays on her swingset or trampoline. In the evenings our neighbors come over with thier daughter so we all sit outside and visit while the kids play.
Hope you got some more sleep!!